Thursday, March 14, 2019

R E V I E W // UNAWARE

 In studying for the creation of my own opening, my friends reminded me of a short film produced by BuzzFeed about abusive relationships called "Unaware". To be truthful, I didn't enjoy the acting along with the dialogue as many of the conversations didn't flow and created an unintended awkwardness. Watching the film gave me some ideas to avoid and stick to in my own opening, I also noticed how some effects I intend to use were incorporated which validated my choices.

The short "Unaware" paints the story of two best friends, the new boyfriend, and the girlfriend of the main character. Through the short, you see the spiral of small to eventually larger signs of abuse by the main character's girlfriend, the film goes through the warning signs and acts as a reference for emotional abuse while also displaying the diversity in such as the main conflict occurs within a lesbian couple. 

-Things to avoid

  • Bad acting- Granted I know I can't control a persons acting completely, but both my charecters are being played by two of my close friends who are experienced in drama so I have faith.
  • The incongruence of script dialogue- I've been going over my script many times to add and take away items to get the story across in a dramatic but comprehensible manner, during shooting lines are most likely going to change to emphasize these features.


-Things to embrace

  • The use of angles- Within Unaware, shot reverse shot was mainly used in serious dialogue as it draws the audience into the conversation. Most of my opening is dialogue from the two main characters so getting proper angles along with over the shoulder and SRS shots so those are going to be vital.
  • SOUND- Sound is so incredibly important within horror/thriller films, within Unaware specifically towards the end the crescendo and muffle of certain audible ques added new dimensions in the experience of the actions taking place. Sound triggers can be used in place of dialogue at points but work best when added to create said multi-dimensional experience.






https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpf0dbF0CFk&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

HELLO, ALL THIS IS THE FINAL PIECE TO THE PUZZLE! CCR