Sunday, March 22, 2020

How do you... engage?


There's a couple of main goals I want to be demonstrated to the audience when watching our untitled project, and in this reflection, I've realized how certain aspects of the project represent similar ideas to whats in the movie "The Blind Side".
I reluctantly watched "The Blind Side" when it was released in theaters with my mother who dragged me to see it. At this time I was seven years old, more interested in colorful animations who spoke in an exaggerated structure with each character topped in glitter, not in the story of a kid who played football.
I walked out of the theater that day a new person, having "The Blind Side" proceed my love of Disney's "Princess and the Frog".
After viewing "The Blind Side" I walked out of the movie with a newfound appreciation not only for cinema but for people. I'm not sure how evident it's been but when I was younger I was very emo and honestly painstakingly cringy, so because of this, I fell into a mindset of "hating everyone and everything" to quote my younger self. Though the movie did not stop my 'emo-ness', it flourished a desire within myself to help everyone around me, and I never really stopped.
(this is the only picture I could find from my emo days... I really liked this shade of blue for a period of time)

In revisiting John Lee Hancock's portrayal of Michael Oher and the Tuohy family, I wanted to make audiences feel everything I felt when watching "The Blind Side". But how?
Well, there are a couple of things both "The Blind Side" and our untitled project have in common.
Both have a
- Touching story
- Impoverished upbringing
- Highlights the hidden life of many
But most importantly, they both show the true power of kindness and selflessness.
So how can we do what Hancock did?

ATTITUDE!
One of (if not the most ) important thing that needs to be integrated within our film is attitude.

Micheal Oher's character never once takes pitty upon himself, never victimizing himself for his situation, but also realizing that most of what's happened to him hasn't been in his control. In our project situations are a little different, the little sibling has never known anything above poverty as that's the life they were raised in similar to Oher. But since they're younger, they haven't realized or necessarily experienced all the negative societal implications that comes along with being below the high and even middle class. This will mainly be portrayed by our actors and in the way they embody themselves as a character, trying to make it all feel as real as possible.

In reality, this is just a post about how much I love this movie and how much it affected me and honestly brought me to volunteering so much to help others, realizing I can never judge a book by its cover...which is exactly the point in our untitled project.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

HELLO, ALL THIS IS THE FINAL PIECE TO THE PUZZLE! CCR